Easter Holiday wouldn’t be the same without the traditional sweet holiday bread. Our Chef Panos shares his secrets to ensure your Tsoureki comes out soft and tasty for the upcoming festivities.
Easter Tsoureki Recipe
80 gr fresh yeast
500 gr very strong flour
130 gr milk
170 gr sugar
3 drops vanilla essence
5 gr ground mahleb spice
2 gr ground cardamon
5 gr salt
60 gr melted butter
zest from ½ orange
1. Put the yeast, water, flour in the bowl, mix well and let it rest for 30 min to become a sourdough.
2. Then add the sourdough and the rest of the ingredients (except the butter), to the mixing bowl and beat them, using the hook attachment on medium-high speed for 10 minutes. Add the melted butter in the end and mix for another minute.
3. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly brushed with oil, cover with plastic wrap and set it aside to rest for one hour.
4. Divide the dough in three equal parts, create a long roll with each piece of dough and connect one end of each together, create a braid and then a wreath. Put a red easter egg in the middle and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
5. Let it rest again for 20 minutes. Brush the tsoureki with a mixture of egg and a little milk and bake for 23-28 minutes in 165° C.
Καλή Όρεξη and stay well. Kind Regards, Panos